- Why is Baking Soda a Good Choice for Washing Workout Clothes?
- What Type of Baking Soda to Use?
- What Amount of Baking Soda to Use?
- Things to Avoid When Washing Workout Clothes with Baking Soda
- How to Wash Workout Clothes with Baking Soda By Hand
- How to Wash Workout Clothes with Baking Soda in the Washing Machine
- What to Do If Your Workout Clothes Get Stained After Washing
- The Benefits of Washing Workout Clothes with Baking Soda
- Final Thoughts
Washing workout clothes with baking soda is the ultimate way to avoid bacteria buildup and keep your workout clothes smelling fresh and free from stains. You don’t need to be a professional cleaner to properly wash your workout clothes with baking soda. In fact, following the right instructions and guidelines will ensure that your workout clothes are completely free of stains and odor.
Baking soda is a versatile cleaning agent that can be used in many different ways, including deodorizing, disinfectant, and freshening up the air. It is an affordable and environmentally-friendly alternative to laundry detergent, and it can be used to clean just about anything. To wash workout clothes with baking soda, simply mix 1 cup of baking soda with 8 cups of water to form a baking soda solution. Add your clothes to the solution and allow them to soak for 30 minutes. Then, remove the clothes and wash them normally with a mild detergent.
In this article, we will guide you through the steps for washing workout clothes with baking soda, as well as the benefits and why you should consider washing workout clothes with baking soda.
Why is Baking Soda a Good Choice for Washing Workout Clothes?
When you’re done working out, the last thing you want to do is take forever to get your clothes cleaned. That’s where baking soda comes in. Here are a few reasons why baking soda is a good choice for washing workout clothes:
- Baking soda is an effective deodorizer. It can help to remove sweat and odors from clothes, which can help to keep them smelling fresh.
- Baking soda is also a gentle cleaner, so it will not damage the fabric or cause it to wear out prematurely. It doesn’t require any harsh chemicals. Plus, it’s gentle enough to use on sensitive skin.
- In addition, baking soda is a natural fabric softener, so it will help to keep your workout clothes feeling soft and comfortable.
- Unlike laundry detergent, baking soda is a natural product that’s environmentally friendly.
- Baking soda can also be used to remove stains from clothes. This makes it a good choice for washing workout clothes, which can often become stained with sweat and dirt.
What Type of Baking Soda to Use?
There are many different types of baking soda on the market. It can be confusing to know which one to buy. It is recommended to use Arm & Hammer baking soda, Pure Ingredients Baking Soda, and Duda Energy Pure Sodium Bicarbonate Powder for cleaning purposes. So, what type do we recommend?
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is a well-known brand for its purity, flexibility, and effectiveness. It’s a versatile, pure, and safe solution for cleaning and deodorizing. It can be used for a variety of cleaning tasks and provides convenience around your house.
Pure Ingredients Baking Soda is a high-quality baking soda that is carefully designed for cleaning and deodorizing, making it an all-in-one solution for your household requirements. This product is 100% pure, contains no aluminum, and can boast all-natural ingredients.
Duda Energy Pure Sodium Bicarbonate Powder is a safe option for practically all cleaning requirements in the home. Although heavy metals are present in it, the company claims that the heavy metals present are insignificant in comparison to the benefits.
We recommend using Arm & Hammer Baking Soda because it is specifically designed for cleaning surfaces and has a higher concentration of sodium bicarbonate.
What Amount of Baking Soda to Use?
When it comes to washing with baking soda, it is important to use the right amount of baking soda. This is because using too much baking soda can make clothes stiff and difficult to wear. Using too little baking soda will not produce sufficient results. So, what is the right ratio of baking soda to water when washing workout clothes?
According to US standards, 1 Gallon of water is equivalent to 3.78 liters, 128 ounces, or 16 cups of water. Also, 1 cup of water is equivalent to 240 ml of water.
Therefore, it is recommended to use 1 cup of baking soda to 8 cups of water when forming a baking soda solution and not a paste. Hence, according to the US standard of measurement, use 1 cup (240 ml) of baking soda for every 8 cups (64 ounces or 1.9 liters) of water.
By using this ratio, you can get your workout clothes cleaned without any issues. In the case of tough stains, this ratio may not work for you. However, you can form a paste of baking soda and water to pretreat tough stains before washing clothes normally. To make a paste of baking soda, simply mix 3 parts baking soda with 1 part water.
Things to Avoid When Washing Workout Clothes with Baking Soda
When it comes to washing workout clothes, baking soda is a versatile and affordable option. However, there are some things you should avoid when washing workout clothes with baking soda.
- Avoid using hot water: Washing workout clothes with baking soda in hot water will cause the baking soda to react with the fabric and leave a white film behind.
- Do not use too much baking soda: Too much baking soda can leave a residue on your clothes that can cause skin irritation.
- Don’t wash your workout clothes more than once a week using baking soda: The alkaline nature of the baking soda can break down the fabric over time.
- Avoid using fabric softener: Fabric softener can coat the fabric and make it less effective at wicking away sweat.
- Never use bleach when washing workout clothes with baking soda: Bleach can also counteract the effects of the baking soda and could lead to bacteria growth. Also, the combination of these two chemicals can create a dangerous gas that can be harmful to your health.
- Avoid using a dryer: The high heat can cause the fabric to shrink and may also damage the elastic in workout clothes. Instead, hang clothes to dry.
How to Wash Workout Clothes with Baking Soda By Hand
When it comes to washing workout clothes, some people prefer to use a traditional wash cycle with detergent. Others may opt for a less traditional method like handwashing. Regardless of the method, one important step is to add baking soda to the wash cycle. Here’s how to wash workout clothes with baking soda by hand:
- Fill a bucket, sink, tub, or basin with cold water that can cover your clothes.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda to every 8 cups of water. Stir thoroughly to dissolve the baking soda.
- Add your clothes to the baking soda solution and allow them to soak for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, gently rub or scrub the dirty parts of the clothes with your hand or a soft brush.
- After removing all stains, gently squeeze out the excess solution from your clothes and rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Hang clothes on a clothesline to air dry.
How to Wash Workout Clothes with Baking Soda in the Washing Machine
Adding baking soda to the washing machine can help get rid of sweat and body odor from workout clothes. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and fabric softener, so it’s the perfect choice for keeping your sweaty clothes smelling fresh. To add baking soda, first, dissolve it in warm water, then pour it into the washing machine. Here’s how you can wash your workout clothes with baking soda in the washing machine:
- Fill your washer with cold water and add 1 cup of baking soda to the washer. Stir thoroughly to dissolve the baking soda.
- Add your dirty clothes to the washer and add a small amount of mild detergent to the detergent dispenser.
- Select a gentle cycle, delicate cycle, or “hand-wash” cycle on your washing machine.
- Set the water temperature to “cold water” and if you don’t have the option to select “cold water”, then set the water temperature to below 40 °C (104 °F).
- Let the machine run its complete cycle.
- Once the cycle is done, allow the clothes to soak in the baking soda solution for about 10 minutes.
- After soaking, rinse the clothes thoroughly to remove any excess baking soda.
- Hang clothes to dry.
What to Do If Your Workout Clothes Get Stained After Washing
Baking soda is a powerful cleaning agent that can remove tough stains and odors from fabric. However, if you use baking soda to wash your workout clothes, there’s a chance that the clothes will get stained if used incorrectly.
This is because baking soda is a highly alkaline substance, and it can cause the fabric to be stained if it’s not used correctly. Don’t worry if your workout clothes get stained after washing them with baking soda. There are several things you can do to remove the stains.
- The first thing you should do is try to remove the stain with a laundry detergent that contains enzymes. Enzymes are natural proteins that help break down dirt and grease. If the detergent doesn’t work, you can try using a commercial stain remover.
- You can also try washing the clothes in a vinegar solution using cold water. The vinegar will help to break down the alkaline properties of baking soda and keep the fabric from breaking down.
- Try pretreating the stains with a laundry detergent or stain remover before you wash them. This will help to remove any residual baking soda from the fabric and reduce the chance of further staining.
The Benefits of Washing Workout Clothes with Baking Soda
When it comes to working out, there are some definite do’s and don’ts. One of the most important things to remember is to always wear clean clothes. This is especially important when it comes to your workout clothes, as you don’t want bacteria and sweat to build up on them. Thankfully, there’s an easy way to keep your workout clothes clean – washing them with baking soda. There are many benefits of washing workout clothes with baking soda.
- Baking soda is a gentle cleaner that will not damage the fabric or cause any fading.
- Baking soda is eco-friendly and biodegradable, so it is safe for use in septic systems.
- Baking soda is a natural deodorizer, meaning it can get rid of any funk or smell that may be lingering in your clothes.
- It also helps remove any built-up sweat or dirt, which can cause your clothes to start looking and feeling dirty sooner.
- Baking soda is also a great fabric softener, so your clothes will feel nice and soft after they’ve been washed.
- Finally, baking soda is a great way to remove any built-up detergent residue from your clothes, which can cause them to lose their color and shape over time.
Are you interested in reading similar articles? Click here to get access to our free articles.
In conclusion, baking soda is an effective and affordable way to clean workout clothes. To clean workout clothes with baking soda, simply add 1 cup of baking soda to the washing machine along with a small amount of mild detergent. Let the machine run through its normal cycle, and then hang the clothes to dry.
By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can keep your workout clothes looking and smelling fresh. Not only will this make them last longer, but you’ll also be less likely to develop any unwanted odors.
In addition, washing workout clothes with baking soda is a great way to get rid of bacteria and odors. It is environmentally friendly, affordable, easy to use, and can be used on a variety of fabrics. It is also a budget-friendly alternative to commercial detergents. So, if you are looking for a way to keep your gym clothes fresh and bacteria-free, baking soda is a great option. Thanks For Reading!